Cat Chiu Phillips installs a Filipino-inspired mat made from the screens of broken Apple products and the interiors of ethernet cables
Open Call for Artists or Designers
Gowanus E-waste Warehouse Resident Program
*Application deadline August 14th, 2015
LES Ecology Center offers an electronic waste recycling and reuse program and operates the Gowanus e-Waste Warehouse, located at 469 President Street in Brooklyn. This is an opportunity for a Artists and/or Designers who wish to participate in a self-directed residency program to develop new work out of discarded electronics.
We would like to raise awareness about consumption and garbage generation, while providing the raw materials and space to develop upcycled products for sale in our ReUse store and other outlets.
- Residency duration between three and six months, please specify in application
- Experience in design with upcycled/recycled objects is desired, not required
- Self-directed residencies are offered to provide each resident with space and materials to create new work
- Each resident is required to produce at least one product design using e-waste materials to be sold at our ReUse store or other retail outlets. Please explain in application what type of product you envision developing
- Resident in conjunction with LES Program Manager will be expected to develop production goals, as well as pricing structure and sales strategy
- Production assistance might be an option, depending on availability and need
- There will be a shared profit model on the sale of products
- Resident will be asked to engage with Ecology Center community via workshops, networking, press and other events
- 200 sq feet of open production space/studio in unheated warehouse
- Desk, electricity and WiFi will be provided
- Access to materials from our e-waste program, data sensitive items excluded
- Provision of production material pulled from recycled e-waste for resident’s own work as well as for product design
- Promotions via social media, Ecology Center website, and digital product gallery
- Warehouse-based workshops/events, collaborations with local organizations
Please send your project proposal (500 word max), including desired residency duration, CV (3 page max), Bio (250 word max), images and/or video with the subject “Application for Art / Design Residency” to info [at] lesecologycenter [dot] org or contact us via ExchangeWorks for more information.
The resident will be informed by September 11, 2015